Feynman's Rio License Plate Many people are asking me how I got this license plate. They routinely assume I bought it from a souvenir store in Rio. This is not the case.
- Richard Feynman went to Rio de Janeiro very often. I was why. The
best way to find out was to go there and see the city and meet the people.
I went there in January of 2000 during the semester break.
- I stayed at the Hotel Sheraton Rio.
This hotel was and still is somewhat removed from the Copacavana Beach, but
I thought this American hotel would be a safe place. There was a bus
leaving for the Copacavana Beach and Downtown every 15 minutes.
- A young Brazilian craftsman approached me and asked me whether I would like
to have a Rio license plate carrying my name. I asked how much. He said
40 us-Dollars. I said OK. He then asked me to write down my name. I wrote
down FEYNMAN. He brought came with the plate next day as promised. As we were
taking a photo, a young lady hopped in, and the resulting photo
was this this, but I made no attempts to
find out who this young lady was.
- When I was coming back on a United Airline flight, the tickect people
mixed up my seat assignment, and the net result was that I got kicked up to
a business-class seat (fortunately this happens very often to me). While
I was preparing to take my seat, a UAL flight attendant was passing by
and asked me whether I remember the picture. She gave me her business card
and asked me to send her
the photo. She knew I was a Korean, not Japanese
or Chinese. She said she likes Feynman. Indeed, it was a pleasant experience.
- Swiming Pool and Beyond. This hotel is somewhat isolated from the city, but has everything. There are five different restaurants.
copyright@2011 by Y. S. Kim, unless otherwise specified. Click here for his home page.