Brookfield Place (World Financial Center)
- World Financial Center, with the Twin Towers
of the World Trade Center. This area is also called
Brookfield Place. There are many shops and restaurants. You can
also meet many interesting people.
- On the 9.11 day of 2001, the WFC towers
were not affected by the disaster on the WTC towers just cross from
the street. This photo was taken from Jersey City across from the
Hudson River and is from the public domain.
- The twin towers of WFC (World Financial Center)
seen from the Hudson River, after the 9.11.
- The towers seen from the base of one of
the old Twin WTC Toweres.
- The towers after the 91.11 seen from
the Millenium Hilton Hotel across the street
from the WTC towers.
- Night View of the Financial Center seen
from the same hotel.
- In addtion to those financial institions, there are
many shops and restaurants .
- Eastern Entrance of the Brookfield Place.
- Western Entrance of the Brookfield Center,
with an open recreation area.
- Between the two ebtrances, there is a
large recreational hall.
- Within this Brookfield Place building
- There are many shops selling luxery items
like this, and like this,
- You can meet cheerful people at this center. Here is
a smart distributions of young ladies
working at this Place.
- There is an open area between the Brookfield Center and the Hudson River.
- Enough space for people to jog around.
A sizable dock for recreation boats.
- Large restaurant. I dined there in 2016 and
met some people from Princeton. I enjoy talking about Princeton.
Stuyvesant High School is known as one of the best high schools in the United
States. The school campus is just one block north of the World Financial Center.
- This is a photo of the campus taken from the Hudson River.
This photo was taken in 2009 before the One Wold Tower was completed.
- Here is a
more recent photo with the Tower in the background.
- I visited this high school in 2000 and talked with boys and girls there.
I took many photos then , but I could not find them. I hope to post some of them
when I find those photos, or I may visit the school again when I go to New York nex time.
- Battery Park is
the wooded park area at the south-western coroner of Manhattan. This place
served as a military base during the British invasion of 1812. Britain at
that time did not recognize the United States as a country and attempted to
reclaim the territory of the former colony.
- The wooded area in this photo is the Park.
- The Park seen from the Staten Island
- Fortification with gun positions is still
in good condition.
- One of the guns is still operational.
- These days, the Park provides a place of rest and
for hard-working New Yorkers and visitors from other places.
Jogging is an excellent form of recreation.
- Looking at the sea is another excellent
form of recreation.
- The Statue of Liberty and the Ellis Island
in this photo.
- The ferry boat to the Statue is waiting for
- People are waiting on the ticket line
for the boat.
- A giant cruise ship is sailing toward
the Atlantic Ocean. The passengers on board must be giving their salutes to
the Lady Liberty.
When this ship was closer to the Park, it
appeared like a giant building.
- An open-air cafeteria is also at the Park.
Quite understandably, it is an expensive place. Most of the visitors
are from Europe, and thus the cafe serves European dishes.
Occasionally, there are people from New York and other parts of the
United States. In May of 2014, I had a lunch
with my wife and shared the table with New Yorkers.
- At the northwestern corner there is a
gate telling you are leaving the Park.
- Indeed, you are entering the Robert Wagner
- There is a statue of snake at the
entrance. I do not understand why the city chose the snake, but my
guess is that the snake is a wise creature, smart enough to fool
Eve and eventually Adam.
Who was Robert Wagner Jr.? He was the mayor of New York from
1954 to 1965. While I was in Princeton from 1958 to 1962, I used to
watch TV programs from New York. I remember him as a strong man and an
effective leader. He introduced many new programs to the City.
Museum of Jewish Heritage is one block north of the Wagner Park.
The Museum of course tells how Jewish people survived
throughout the history. I learned many new lessons there, but I was not
allowed to take photos inside the Museum.
- This is the entrance to the
- The Museum building seen from the
Hudson River. The building has a pyramid-like roof. On the
right hand side (south side) is the
round-roofed gate at the entrance of the Wagner Park.
- Close-up view of the Museum.
A very stylish building.
In reality, the second photo was taken first at a different place.
New York Film Academy is two blocks east of this Jewish
- The entrance to the Academy
faces a busy street, but there is small recreational areas.
- There, I met a group of students
studying how to make movies. They seem to know who
Sergei Eisenstein was. He was a Russian film maker during
the Cold War era. Click here
for a story about Eisenstein.
- In making movies, we assume someone writes a story first. Then take
photos of the actors and actresses reproducing the story. Eisenstein
was different. Take the photos first, and construct a story by
arranging the photos.
Eisenstein constructed two movies entitled "Ivan the Terrible I and
II," from the same set of photos. In his first movie, he
describes Joseph Stalin as a benevolent and decisive leader
who expanded the Russian territory. In the second movie,
he described Stalin as a ruthless murderer.
This is precisely how I make webpages.
Click here to see how
Eisenstein influenced me in developing my digital literature.
- There is another big building
flying the flag of the same film academy about one
kilometer east of this place.
- In front of this building is
the Charging Bull, which is a very popular spot
- Since this Bull will let you become rich,
there are gift stands around this Bull
selling small replicas of this bull.
- Since I also want to become rich, I had a
photo with this Bull. A flag of
New York Film Academy is seen in the background.
New York Harbor
Princeton is a university town 60 kilometer from New York. You can
spend one day there while in New York.
- Campus of Princeton University.
This campus is one of attractions for tourists coming to New York.
Many people are interested in sending their children or grandchildren to
- Princeton Carnival.
Before the commencement day (end of May), there is a week-long alumni
re-union. On the final day of the re-union, there is a parade of
Princeton alumni, called "P-rade." You can see the life-style of
- Click here for many
other places in the world.
copyright@2021 by Y. S. Kim, unless otherwise specified.