University of Maryland
- University of Maryland Webpage.
- 1856. Maryland Agricultural College was set up. We still see this
cow-college tradition. The animal house is still located near the
center of the campus. Let us look at some animal pictures.
- University Barn is the "must see" spot on campus.
- Not Bull fighters. They are bull lovers.
- More Photos of the cow college tradition.
- Brief History of
- 1864. Maryland legislature voted to accept the Morris grant,
commonly known as Abraham Lincoln's land grant. The college
received a city-sized land from the federal government. I came
here in 1962, I witness construction activities everyday.
- 1916 and 1917. The State of Maryland took full control of the college
and changed its name to the University of Maryland.
- 1935. Curly Byrd became the president of the University, and was the
president until 1964. He is the one who transformed the University
from a cow college to a ranking university in the United States. He
had a talent in impressing the state legislature for his numerous
construction projects. He built many dormitory buildings.
- Byrd Stadium. This is the biggest college foot ball field in the world. The cow college image is gone, but the University of Maryland is still regarded as a "foot ball" college. In addition, there are
- Extensive Indoor Facilities. The construction of this building was funded by ComCast company. This company thinks it can make money from this investment.
- McKeldon Library and the Mall.
- Talent Show. A student is showing his talent.
- Campus Walkway along the Mall.
- Main Administration Building is at the opposite end of the Mall.
- 1952. Curly Byrd decided to build a first-class physics department,
and called John A. Wheeler for an advice. At that time, Wheeler had
a young student named John S. Toll. Toll came to the University in 1953
and got things moving.
- Toll with Wheeler in 2001, forty eight years after he came to the University of Maryland.
By 1965, when he left the Department to become the president of the Stony Brook campus of the New York state university system, Maryland's physics department became one of the largest in the world.
- In 1980, Toll came back to the University of Maryland as the chancellor
of the Maryland University System. He used to become very happy whenever
I invited Eugene Wigner from Princeton. Here is
- In 2001, the physics building was named after him, and is now called
"John S. Tall Physics Building."
- These days, many capitalists are coming to College Park, and they are constructing high-rise buildings. Are they going to transform this college town into a business center? I do not know. In either case, things are changing everyday.
When I came to Maryland in 1962, I was a single man. I now have a grandson imitating Richard Feynman.
- 1864. Maryland legislature voted to accept the Morris grant, commonly known as Abraham Lincoln's land grant. The college received a city-sized land from the federal government. I came here in 1962, I witness construction activities everyday.
- I came to the University of Maryland in 1962, and spent 48 years of challenges
and promises. My job is still to become famous. I would like to show you
some photos of myself with colleagues and students.
- Faculty Photo of 1963, ten months after I came to
- with Students in honors program (1972). I like students
because I regard myself as one of them.
- Elementary Particles Research Group (1973).
- Departmental Christmas Party (1976).
- Academic Robe. I sometimes had to
attend commencement ceremonies (1990).
- Popular Teachers
invited to a student party (2000). With me is Satindar Bhagat, who also came to
the UMD in 1962. He was always a good teacher, but I was sometimes.
- Coca-Cola Cans. I used to collect
Coca-Cola cans from different parts of the world. These days, I cannot carry
them. Thus, I have to find some other item I can carry on my carry-on bag.
Please tell me if you have suggestions.
- Home page. You are invited to my home page. The University of Maryland has been very nice to me.
- Faculty Photo of 1963, ten months after I came to the University.
- I have more than 1000 campus photos. I will post them when I have time. Please come again.
Other Important Places in the Washington Area
- Mount Vernon. George Washington's residence
20 kilometers south of Washington.
- Annapolis, 50 km east of Washington, home of the U.S.Naval Academy.
copyright@2014 by Y. S. Kim, unless otherwise specified.
Click here for his home page.