- John S. Toll
was John A. Wheeler's student at Princeton and came to the University
of Maryland in 1953 to build the physics department.
I am the yougnest person in this faculty photo
Click here for a full image of this photo.
John Toll used to become very happy whenever I invited
Eugene Wigner to Maryland.
This photo was taken at the Chancellor's mansion in 1986.
- He served as the chairman of department until 1965. He hired me
as an assistant professor in 1962, and I worked for him until 1965
when he went to Stony Brook as the university president.
On the door of the chairman's office, he had a sign saying
For administrative matters, make appointments with my secretary.
For physics matters, come right in.
We need more people like John S. Toll in physics.
Is physics above money or money above physics?
- In 1978, Toll came back to Maryland as the chancellor of the State university
System, and he became very happy whenever I invited Eugene Wigner to Maryland.
Here is my photo with Toll and Wigner.
- The best thing Toll did for me was to assign me as Dirac's servant when he visited
Maryland in 1962. Click here for a story.
He was always on my side whenever I had difficult times with my colleagues.
In spite of his busy schedule at the Chancellor's office, he used to come
to my seminars. I am very proud to say that I am Johnny Toll's boy.
- Research Interests:
- Further contents of
Einstein's E = mc2.
- Elementary particle theory.
- Foundations of
quantum mechanics, particularly the question
of making the uncertainty principle
consistent with special relativity.
- Lorentz group applicable to other areas of
physics including quantum optics, condensed matter physics, and classical
mechanics. Click here.
- List of publications.
Activities: Organizing international conferences,
internet communication system which privides links
to webpages for international conferences. You may
http://www.ysfine.com to see this program.
- Extracurricular Activities:
- Talking with students on various issues.
- Collecting Coca-Cola cans
of different designs from different countries.
- Digital Literature. How to design
- Show and Tell. I like to tell
- True Character: I am a freedom-loving boy, and I enjoy
talking/listening to everybody in the world. Please e-mail
me at email@example.com
if you have brilliant ideas.
- Click here if you like to know more about me.